Just over a week ago, I was over-the-moon excited to embark on The. Best. Weekend. Ever.
That may be a slight over-exaggeration (on this blog?! No WAY!); and the details are insignificant, but the learning was, in one word - EPIC.
And here I am a week later, considering the concept of expectation.
E X P E C T A T I O N
1. the act or the state of expecting : to wait in expectation.
2. the act or state of looking forward or anticipating.
3. an expectant mental attitude: a high pitch of expectation.
4. something expected; a thing looked forward to.
5. Often, expectations. a prospect of future good : to have great expectations.
6. the degree of probability that something will occur : There is little expectation that he will come.
In a nutshell, here's what I now know -
Met Exceeded = On Cloud Nine.
Expectation Raised = Hope.
Expectation Not Met = Total Devastation.
There are two questions circling my mind -
If we have expectations (whether they are of a person or a situation);
Are we setting ourselves up for disappointment?
Or are we simply putting the best case scenario out into the universe so that it can deliver the goods??
Are expectations (a desire for a certain outcome) a sign of greed; or Optimism?
The honest truth?
I would rather feel the buzzing highs of anticipation; and suffer the crushing lows of disappointment; than experience life without hope.
[Sidenote: In an ultimate example of irony - I have logged into blogger expecting to blurt out a post on expectation; I've struggled to put my thoughts into words for 3 days....; lost my connection to the internet and subsequently lost the random babbling I hadn't saved; started again, not with more clarity, but with less expectation.. and it has led me to this gem -
The key to letting go of resistance is letting go of the expectation that you’re supposed to be anywhere other than where you already are, right now.